By using the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf, you are accepting the practices described in this statement.
What kind of information do we collect and how do we use it?
We may use information in our customer databases to send you information about us and our products which we think may be of interest to you, both electronically and otherwise. If you have purchased hosting services from OUP, your personal information will also be used to enable us to verify you are entitled to access the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf.
We request personal information (such as your name, email address and other contact details) from you when you contact us with customer service queries, technical problems, to comment on the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf, or when you ask for information about how to use the service. Personal information submitted by you via contact us will not be added to our customer database and we request it simply so that we can respond to you about your query. Statistics regarding the types of queries submitted to us via contact us may be collated by us in aggregate form so that we can effectively monitor the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf and improve levels of service. When you use the "Email this entry" feature in the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf (only available if you have chosen Oxford's hosting service), we also request information about the email address/es for the recipient/s of the emailed entry, as well as the sender's name (the sender's email address is optional). Any personal information submitted by you via "Email this entry" will not be added to our customer database or retained by us and we request these details simply so that you can email the entry and so that the recipient knows who has sent the entry to them.
If you have asked for information, or have purchased one or more Titles from the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf and no longer wish to use them and do not wish us to store information about you, please contact us and we will remove your details from our customer database. We need to store information about current customer in order to fulfil our contractual requirements to you and in order to deliver the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf to you.
Unless you have informed us that you do not wish to receive further information about our products, we may send you direct mail.
You may notify us either in writing or by telephone, fax or email that you object to being contacted in a particular stated way. If you use more than one email address to communicate with us, please notify us of each email account you use.
When do we share information?
We share your information within OUP and our affiliates.
The Oxford Digital Reference Shelf has been developed by and (where applicable) hosted by third parties but we have agreed with those third parties that they will keep your information secure and not use it for other purposes.
We have links to non-Oxford University Press websites on our site. If you visit these sites, they may collect information, and such sites are not within our control and are not covered by this privacy statement.
If we believe that your use of the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf is unlawful or damaging to others, we reserve the right to disclose the information we have obtained through the site about you to the extent that it is reasonably necessary in our opinion to prevent, remedy or take action in relation to such conduct.
Access to our customer databases at OUP is only given to those of our employees who need such access in order to carry out necessary processing of your account.
All personal information submitted by you and entered by Oxford University Press into the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf access control system is encoded using 128-bit SSL encryption before being sent over the Internet.
- search, view, retrieve, and display portions of Titles from the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf;
- electronically save portions of Titles from the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf;
- print out single copies of portions of Titles from the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf;
- email single entries from the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf to yourself or to a friend or colleague.
- remove or alter the copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf;
- systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf for any purpose;
- display or distribute any part of the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf on any electronic network, including without limitation the Internet and the World Wide Web (other than the institution's secure network);
- permit anyone to access or use the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf (other than other users authorized by the institution);
- use all or any part of the Oxford Digital Reference Shelf for any commercial use.